Here is a simple twist on one of my old favourites, now sweetened with agave and rice syrups. I’ve also used peppermint extract so adults are devouring it. The seeds have a lovely ‘crispie’ like bite to them.
Makes 12 (cupcake size)
Goodies you’ll need to have:
- 250g dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 5 tablespoons agave syrup (85g approx)
- 1 tablespoon rice syrup
- 1.5 -2 teaspoons peppermint extract (or to taste)
- 230g spelt flakes and spelt puffs (half of each) or puffed rice
- Decorations of your choice (e.g. some extra seeds, dairy free / wheat smarties – I used a pack of whizzers which I found in a local health shop)
Putting it all together:
- Half fill a saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Once boiled turn heat off.
- Break the chocolate into pieces and place into a bowl over the saucepan of just boiled water. Add the syrups and seeds and wait for chocolate to melt, stirring gently every now and then.
- Add remaining ingredients and ensure they are fully coated.
- Put 12 cupcake cases into a muffin tin.
- Divide the chocolate mix equally into the cases.
- Top off with decorations of your choice (or seeds and wheat-free / dairy free smarties).
- If you want them to harden quickly place in the fridge for up to two hours, though the lovely sheen will be lost. I mostly leave them in cool area in kitchen and hidden (or they’ll be ate by your devoted partner (in my case Tony)
Tip: I’m sure a mix of toasted nuts and some dried fruits would be nice in it also – do you use them?. I sometimes add in marshmallows and the texture of the latter is loved. Hope you like this quick and easy treat, love to hear how you get on. Talk soon.